The Effects of CBD on Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia Alternative Treatment
Fibromyalgia patients suffer from chronic pain, extreme tiredness, sleep problems and depression, making simple daily tasks seem like an ordeal. Cannabinoids or CBD is fast becoming a solution to this problem which affects almost 2% of the population. It is a problem where most of the patients do not get adequate relief by using pharmaceuticals or avoid use of pharmaceuticals because of their side-effects.
Since a complete cure for this problem has not yet been found, treatment mainly focuses on the aspect of pain management.
CBD is now a popular alternative treatment option and considered better than opioid prescriptions which can be addictive. Here, we will explore a few of the main benefits CBD provides to patients suffering from fibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia and Benefits of Using CBD Oil
Results in Central Sensitization | Lowers Endocannabinoid Deficiency | Useful for IBS and Migraine | Fights Inflammation | Interrupts Nerve Pathways | Activates Serotonin Receptors
CBD is proving to be quite effective in reducing pain, diminishing refractory pain, and improving sleep in people suffering from fibromyalgia and other health problems like IBS and migraine. Let us look at some of the benefits CBD oil provides.
Results in Central Sensitization: In a recent paper it has been suggested that CBD helps in lowering activity of glia, which is one type of brain cell.
This, in turn, results in central sensitization and relieves pain in fibromyalgia as well as in other health problems like migraine, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), multiple sclerosis, and chronic fatigue syndrome.
Reduces Endocannabinoid Deficiency: In fibromyalgia, people face what is known as endocannabinoid deficiency. This makes CBD a promising treatment for this issue and the associated chronic pain.
Useful for IBS and Migraine: In a recent review evidence was found about the effectiveness of CBD in health problems such as IBS and migraine, which are often related to the problem of fibromyalgia. Additionally, in the review it was mentioned that treatments which are based on hemp and cannabis usually prove to be quite useful in fibromyalgia.
Fights Inflammation: Studies also reveal the benefits of CBD in fighting inflammation. Despite the fact that according to American College of Rheumatology, fibromyalgia does not result in inflammation or cause damage to muscles, joints or other tissues, research does show that in some fibromyalgia cases inflammation can occur.
Such inflammation is found in fascia, which is a network of connective tissues present in our body. As such, CBD proves to be quite helpful in people suffering from fibromyalgia.
Interrupts Nerve Pathways: CBD provides effective pain relief by interrupting nerve pathways which are responsible for transferring pain signals between the body and the brain.
Moreover, CBD’s anti-inflammatory effect helps in reducing swelling and heat in the location where injury has occurred, thereby helping to reduce pain even further.
Activates Serotonin Receptors: CBD can activate the brain’s serotonin receptors. This helps with reducing inflammation, positively impacting pain perception, and assists in balancing body temperature.
CBD is also able to breakdown chemicals in our brain which are responsible for affecting mood as well as mental functions. This, in turn, helps in reducing emotional symptoms.
Reviews and Studies Highlighting Positive Effects of CBD on Fibromyalgia
In recent times various reviews and studies have been conducted to analyze the effectiveness of CBD on fibromyalgia and other conditions where people experience chronic pain. Let us explore the details here.
- Relieves Pain: A review was performed to analyze research being conducted on use of cannabinoids by people suffering from chronic pain linked to fibromyalgia and other health conditions. The review found that 7 out of 11 studies revealed that CBD was able to relieve pain.
- Counteracts Hyper-sensitivity: Another study revealed that CBD may be able to counteract problem of hyper sensitivity of cells that surround the nerves in patients who are facing chronic pain due to fibromyalgia.
- Reduces Pain Symptoms: In another study it was found that CBD proves to be helpful in reducing pain symptoms. Additionally, it was noticed that it can effectively relieve and treat neuropathic as well as inflammatory pain that some experience because of nerve injury.
How to consume CBD?
Edibles | Topicals | Oil Extracts
CBD can be consumed in different forms.
- Edibles: These are food items infused with cannabis or hemp. Normally, symptom relief is experienced after a longer duration compared to vaping or smoking but effects may well last for as long as 6 hours.
- Topicals: CBD is usually infused into different types of topical balms and creams so that it can be applied to skin. These balms and creams prove to be helpful in reducing external pain and inflammation.
- Oil Extracts: You can apply oil extracts topically or take orally.
CBD can certainly be helpful for people suffering from fibromyalgia and provide them relief from chronic pain.